Tobira, Gateway to Advanced Japanese
Tobira Gateway to Advance Japanese is a book for intermediate level students (JLPT 3). The book is mainly targeted for those who have completed the beginners level and they are seeking consolidate the intermediate level and by doing so, get ready for approach the high level of Japanese language (JLPT 2 and 1). For this reason, this book is focused in the practice of grammar, reading comprehension, listening, writing and intermediate level vocabulary, so it is presumed students have completed the beginners level and they already have a strong grammar base.
The book is divided in 15 units, each focused in a certain topic. The structure of each unit is different but they all have the following contents:
- An introduction with a series of contents, so students start getting familiar with readings and texts of each unit. For example, unit 1 is focused in Japan and its different zones, so this introduction contains vocabulary about geography.
- An extensive reading. All complex vocabulary is written in hiragana, kanji and English.
- The next section is focused in conversation. There is a dialogue between 2 people whose linguistic register changes if we compare it with the previous reading. Again, the most complex vocabulary is translated. After reading this dialogue, there are a series of questions of reading comprehension.
- After, there are explanations about grammar. They are all written in English and they all contain many examples in Japanese.
- At the end of each unit, there is a section named "language notes" which is focused in curious information about Japanese language.
Indien op voorraad binnen 48 uur verzonden